Tickford is commemorating one of the greatest moments in Australian motorsport, partnering with Allan Moffat to produce the Tickford Bathurst ’77 Special, a high performance, limited edition Tickford Mustang GT which pays homage to the Ford Falcon XC Hardtops Moffat and team-mate Colin Bond drove to a famous 1-2 in the 1977 Bathurst 1000.
Bathurst ’77 Special Overview
Modelled off the livery of the Ford Falcon XC Hardtops Moffat and team-mate Colin Bond drove to the famous factory 1-2, the Tickford Bathurst ’77 Special features a range of unique components, engineered to provide a special and individual experience.
The 40th anniversary of Ford’s most famous win will see no more than 77 of the limited edition Tickford pony cars built, each fitted with a Moffat signature numbered build plate and a host of special design elements.
In true Tickford style the Mustang GT’s 5.0-litre power plant will be re-tuned and fitted with a high-performance supercharger, significantly increasing the Ford V8’s power and torque, with the finished vehicle putting out in excess of 727 hp / 542 kw while torque increases to 827 Nm.
Externally, the car reflects the 1977 version of the Falcon with a modern interpretation of the livery. All Bathurst ’77 Special vehicles will be based on the Oxford White base colour, fitted with a full decal kit, including optional race numbers and replica rear wing.
- A Roush developed supercharger with 727hp, and 820Nm of torque
- High-capacity, low-restriction air filter and complete cold air induction system
- Fabricated aluminium intercooler
- Low-temperature radiator
- High-flow fuel injectors
- 60mm dual-bore throttle body
- 80 mm supercharger pulley
- Revised fuel pump control module
- NGK hi-performance spark plugs
- Full remap on the ECU
- A bespoke 3” Tickford exhaust system, developed specifically for the Bathurst 77 Special, featuring black chrome quad tips
- Tickford’s signature rear diffuser
Handling and Suspension
- A Tickford-engineered suspension package featuring a matched set of coilovers and dampers from a premium European brand, lowering the vehicle by an additional 25 mm
- A Steeda K-frame brace for the front and two Steeda Ultralite G-Trac braces for the rear
- Tickford’s signature 10-spoke alloy wheel, featuring a unique gold colour, in 20 x 9.5” on the front and 20 x 11” on the rear, with Tickford centre caps
- A set of ultra-high-performance tyres, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S, with the fronts running a 263/35 ZR 20, and the rears a 295/30 ZR 20, including tyre pressure monitors, a set of black wheel nuts incorporating a locking wheel nut
- Fronts – a Wilwood high performance, racing red, 6-piston calliper, with 15” slotted rotors, supported by high performance brake pads
- Rear – a Wilwood high performance, racing red, 4-piston calliper, with 14” slotted rotors and separate parking brake assembly, supported by high performance brake pads
- A full replacement OEM-spec leather trim, front and rear, featuring a unique and modern interpretation of the exterior of the XC Coupe with a leather and Alcantara base, along with red and blue stitching, and embroidered Tickford wings in the seat back
- Additional padding in the driver’s seat for comfort and support
- Upgraded centre console in leather and Alcantara, featuring red and blue stitching and the Tickford logo
- An uprated steering wheel, again featuring red and blue stitching, and a leather and Alcantara trim while having been enhanced in thickness for better tactile feel
- On manual cars, a Ford Performance retro-inspired gear knob
- Interior Tickford badging including a build plate number on the dashboard
- Bonnet struts
- A retro-inspired rear spoiler, painted black
- The bonnet, boot lid and wing mirror caps to be painted black to mirror the 1977 Ford XC Coupe
- External badging includes replacing the 5.0 side badges with chrome Bathurst 77 Special logo, a replacement front grille Mustang emblem in black, Tickford front grille badge and a unique Tickford wings logo featuring the red and blue of the car at the rear
- A modern interpretation of the 1977 XC Coupe, featuring a complete decal set matched to the Mustang’s exterior, which comes with a three-year fitment and quality warranty
- The option to have the number 1 fitted to the vehicle (bonnet, roof and doors), or provided as an optional extra
In addition, Tickford will be fitting an Intellitrac vehicle tracking system, hardwired into the vehicle, to provide additional security with one-year support and activation included.
Tickford will be supporting the vehicle with a limited powertrain warranty. Full warranty details will be provided when the car is collected.
The total cost of the conversion of a donor vehicle to a Bathurst 77 Special is $64,500 AUD.
This is to be paid as follows:
- $10,000 AUD deposit to secure your allocation
- $20,000 AUD upon receipt of the donor vehicle into the Tickford Enhancement Centre, 4/40 Glenbarry Road, Campbellfield, VIC
- $34,500 AUD to be paid upon completion of the vehicle and prior to, or on the day of, collection or despatching onto separate transportation
“It is hard to believe it has been 40 years since Colin and I finished 1-2 at Bathurst but while I recall the race as if it were yesterday, it is nice to know it holds such a special place with so many people all these years on. The team at Tickford have done a very thorough job coming up with a modern interpretation of my 1977 XC Hardtop. While the Falcon has sadly been consigned to the history books, the Mustang was always one of my favourite cars to race and I had considerable success in them. Ford have done a great job with the latest one.
“The Tickford Bathurst ’77 Special looks amazing, produces an unbelievable amount of power and the finish across all areas of the vehicle highlights why the return of Tickford is so important for the Australian automotive industry. These guys know what they are doing and it shows in this special edition.”